Wednesday, June 27, 2007

Perfect!

Yesterday was the perfect beach day!

The sun was brightly shining. The sky was a beautiful, sparkling blue. It was deliciously warm with just the right touch of humidity to accept the ocean's invitation to take a dip in its refreshing waters. Even the tide was just right.

It was a beach day that definitely would have met with Goldilocks's approval!

I wasn't actually planning on going to the beach yesterday. It was a spur of the moment decision after I picked up Ariana from work. So, on the way home from work, we stopped by to pick up her friend Ryan, and then gather our stuff and head out to the beach.

Ever since I have moved to Mattapoisett, I have not had to go to a public beach in order to get my fix of sun and surf. (However, I do miss the big waves at the Rhode Island beaches.) In fact I have become spoiled by the availability of private beaches that I have access to.

Even if my mother-in-law did not live in a private neighborhood that had its own beaches, a short bike ride up my road would lead me to a very delightful beach in a sheltered cove. There is also a small scattering of town beaches where no one has to compete for a spot to lay down a beach blanket.

We wound up going to a small private beach just a short distance from my mother-in-law's house. There were a few people there already enjoying the sun and the water. While most of the people ~ with the exception of their kids ~ decided to sun on the shore, the three of us went right in.

The water was great! It was nowhere near as cold as the folks on the shore expected. We stayed in for a bit less than hour.

One of the nice things at this beach is that the people are pleasant. The three of us got a great kick out of watching this one little ocean-loving boy run up to his grandmother to give her a big soaking wet embrace. Her tee shirt revealed a damp imprint of the little cherub's face much like the Shroud of Turin.

Soon the entire beach cleared, leaving just the three of us.

Having dried off and eaten the food that we brought, we too decided that it was time to leave.

How glad I was to follow that spur of the moment impulse. We were all glad that we succumbed to the ocean's siren call.

Today promises to be a day just as glorious as the one before. Already I hear the sirens singing.

No comments: