Thursday, October 1, 2009

Becoming a Texan

Today I "officially" became a Texan.

That involved getting my car registered, which was a long, complicated, and expensive process. Once that was done, I took all my official paperwork and went down to the Department of Public Safety to get my Massachusetts driver's license transferred over to a Texas license.

(I made sure to put on make-up and fix my hair up nice today! LOL)

It'll take up to 60 days before my permanent license comes in. And I can't wait to see what it'll look like. Hopefully the permanent copy will have corrected the errors that are on the temporary paper license, such as my having brown eyes and not having any restrictions. (For the record, I have green eyes and have to wear corrective lenses.)

Now my car no longer has those conspicuous Massachusetts license plates on it. In fact, after bringing Emi back from her walk, I did not recognize my car, sitting in front of the apartment, with its new Texas tags.

OK, so now I am a Texan.

But I am still waiting for this place to feel like home.

Sure, I like it here. The people are incredibly nice and polite. I have never seen people go that far out of their way to help a stranger. And the driving is much, much easier here, despite the wide 6 to 8-lane roads.

But I still need to seriously tame the major chaos in this tiny apartment and get it looking more like home.

Yesterday I brought the 5th car-load of stuff down to the self-storage unit. (All the way there I was praying that I would not get stopped because there was no visibility out my back window.) That's more space freed up in the apartment. But it's still not enough space for me to be able to easily organize and put away stuff.

Maybe it'll be something like this: I'll wake up one morning and realize that this is indeed home.

But for now Lubbock is a place with nice and friendly people and this apartment is a roof over our heads that does not leak whenever it rains.

No comments: