Thursday, December 24, 2009

It's 'Sno News

Late last night and very early this morning Lubbock got a whooping by Mother Nature.

I worked the late night shift, and all through the night my coworkers and I were constantly looking out the windows to gauge the progress of the snow storm.

If this were Massachusetts, the plows would have been out as soon as the first snow flake hit the ground. Not so in Lubbock. Several hours into the storm, the streets were still white and untouched by any vehicle, much less a snow plow.

But then, the reason for the lack of snow storm preparedness is understandable. Lubbock is not used to getting this kind of snow. The last time it snowed this hard in Lubbock was some 9 years ago. (Of course, such a snow fall would be small potatoes in New England.)

By the time I got out of work at 6 this morning, I had to trudge through snow drifts that were half way up my shins to get to my car. Not having a snow brush or ice scraper, I had to sit in my car for 5 minutes - melting snow puddling in the bottoms of my clogs - with the defroster blasting on high.

When I was finally able to move, I drove all the way home along the unplowed roads in no higher than second gear.

A few brief moments of panic set in when the gate at the apartment complex would not open. It was frozen shut. The gate would only shudder whenever I tried to open it with my key card.

Anxious to get to bed and hating the idea of having to wait hours until maintenance could come and fix the problem, I got out of my car and yanked on the gate.

My effort bore fruit. With great satisfaction I watched the gate roll back.

I drove my car through the gate and to the one only open parking space in front of my apartment. And after a few attempts, I managed to park my car as far up into the snow drift as I could.

My pillow awaited me inside.

As I slept, snug and secure in my bed, I dreamt that all the walkways and parking lots of the apartment campus were shoveled clean.

However, upon waking I was faced with a different kind of reality.

A shovel never touched this snow. And it seemed doubtful that this snow would ever see a shovel or a snow blower.

The mermaid seemed oblivious to her snowy blanket. But then, she was used to New England winters.

This heavy blanket of snow makes it hard to believe that just a couple of days ago, the temps were up in the mid-60s.

As much as I don't care for snow, it does look pretty under a deep blue Texas sky.

Even the pool looks inviting, despite the snow-covered deck chairs.

It did not take long for these icicles to grow.

Traffic was, understandably, very sparse. No one in their right mind would want to be out driving in this.

With temperatures expected to stay low, it looks like we're going to have a white Christmas in Lubbock.

Merry Christmas.

Stay warm.

No comments: