Wednesday, June 9, 2010

Happy Birzday

Today was Roma's birthday, or "birzday" as we like to say it.

Family tradition has us calling up the birthday person and singing "Happy Birthday" over the phone in the most off-key way possible. We call it the "Birthday Howl."

Well, there weren't enough of us to do the Birthday Howl - not if it was to be done right.

However, I had another thing in mind for Roma.

While I was at the coffee shop, waiting for my order to be filled, I went up to a table that had about 5 - 6 young women sitting at it.

"Excuse me ladies, but I have a bit of an odd request."

I explained that it was my sister's birthday and that she's living in Rhode Island. And I asked if they would be willing to sing "Happy Birthday" to her over the phone.

"Oh! I like birthdays!" one of the girls exclaimed.

They asked what my sister's name was, and then said what a really neat name it was.

I punched in Roma's number, and she answered on the first or second ring.

And we began singing.

Roma was touched, and even more so that I got a group of strangers to serenade her on her birthday.

But this is Texas, where people are friendly. I don't think I would have had the courage to ask a group of strangers to sing "Happy Birthday" to my sister anywhere else.

Happy Birzday, Sis!

No comments: