Thursday, September 13, 2007

Settling In

First thing I had to do, after regaining some of my energy and strength, was to unpack and put away my clothing and toiletries. All my clothing went into that nice and spacious armoir to the left of the bed.

I never did use the comfy chair for sitting. It made more of a convenient catch-all for my miscellanea.

The roomy bed was also another catch-all.

The fireplace never got used. There was no need for that. But it was still pretty to look at. And it made another convenient catch-all object a little later on in my stay.

I even had a little kitchette area. The fridge wound up getting filled with lots of left-overs that had to be eventually thrown out for the coyotes to feast on.

As you can tell, it looks like I have a good view outside my window.

And speaking of views outside my window, here's a close-up of one of the mountains.

This is that same mountain further away. The trees in front are mesquite. And by the way, my room is called the "Mesquite."

This is more to the left of the mesquite in the above picture. Notice there are more mountains. In fact, there are mountains all around. How cool is that?!

Here's a saguaro cactus that is in between the Spur Cross Bed and Breakfast and the horse farm about a quarter of a mile away.


Did you know that a saguaro has to be about 75 years old before it sprouts its first arm and that a saguaro with 5 or more arms is generally 200 years old? I bet that baby in the picture above is at least 200 years old. Just count the number of arms. There must be at least 7.

I saw many saguaro that were propped up by 2 x 4s. That is because in addition to having a very shallow root system, they are also a protected species. It is against the law to cut down a saguaro.

So whenever there are construction projects where the saguaro are in the way, they have to be dug out and then relocated. The 2 x 4s hold the cacti in place while their shallow roots try to establish themselves in their new location.

How very cool it was to have a nice room with this great beautiful view. No Holiday Inn would have been able to do that well.

No comments: