Saturday, April 5, 2008

How Goes the New Job?

The delinquent blogger is back again.

This time, let's hope that I could stay with it, despite my changed schedule.

For the past three months, I have been working second shift at my new job. My days (or should I say evenings) are no longer my own. I hardly ever see my family anymore.

However, there is something to be said for second shift. It's easier to make doctors' appointments. I can have the whole house to myself ~ just me, the animals, and the constantly ringing phone.

Working a 32-hour schedule, I have 3 days ~ Tuesday, Wednesday, and Thursday ~ off in a row. It's like having a mini vacation.

Seeing that I work Friday, Saturday, Sunday, and Monday, my Friday is somebody else's Monday. And my Monday is everyone else's Friday.

So come Thursday night, I am doing what everyone is doing on Sunday ~ dreading the first day of the working week. Sounds a little bit backwards, doesn't it?

People of ask me how I like my job. And I can honestly say that I neither like it nor dislike it.

There are things about the job that I enjoy doing. There are also things that I'm not too crazy about doing, making me wonder, "What have I gotten myself into?"

Thus, I have been instructed by my therapist to give the job 6 months.

6 months feels like a very long time, especially when I am such a clock-watcher on the job. And I discovered that many of the staff are also clock-watchers.

It's tough enough watching the minutes go by. And it's even more tough watching the weeks and months creep along very slowly.

I'm already half-way there. Let's see what the second half will bring.

No comments: