Friday, April 18, 2008

What's Really In Their Minds

It's now been 3 1/2 months since I started my job. And all this time the learning curve has been very steep. I have been naive in my expectations, and thus humbled.

For a job that is straight forward, it's been a tough haul. And it has given me plenty food for thought.

While I had personal experience with specific mental health issues, I had no experience with autism and, especially, mental retardation and developmental delay.

Each day, I see the young women, who live in a residential group home, sit in the living room with the TV on. Yet, I never see them watching the TV, let alone interact with each other. Instead the girls appear to be off in their own different worlds.

And just what are these worlds?

What do these girls think about? Are their thoughts chained by a neuro-psycho chemical glitch in their brains?

Is there an imprisoned genius languishing in the brain that is not capable of expressing thought?

Being an individual who thinks, I find it incomprehensible to envision a mind where there is no thought. So, once again, what is floating around in these girls' minds?

In working at the group home, the staff has been trained not to talk about a resident's behavior in front of the other residents. We been told that the girls know more than we may be aware of.

And what may that be?

No comments: