Tuesday, June 2, 2009

Culinary Creativity With Capers & Other Condiments

Now that Ariana's gone, I'm no longer hearing, "Mummy, I'm hungry. There's nothing to eat in this house." And with the exception of breakfast that Carol treated to us after we put Ariana on the plane to Texas and the meal that Roma bought for me this past Saturday, I have not been out to eat.

For the past 2 days I have eaten nothing but red beans and rice with a couple of slices of left-over ham that I had in the freezer since Easter. I've eaten so many beans that my body has adjusted to them and they are no longer the "musical fruit."

Having just finished the last of my red beans and rice, I still felt hungry. Yet I did not want to clean out my remaining unpacked pot and do more cooking.

So I scoured through the fridge, which was barer than Old Mother Hubbard's cupboard, to see what I could find.

Well, there were still some stale hot dog rolls from when Ariana, Jeremiah, Carol, and I took a drive out to Miles Standish State Forest for a picnic. Add to that a thin slice of pickled red jalapeƱos, green olive tepanade, capers, roasted garlic ranch dressing, and 2 slices of American cheese that's been there since the Revolutionary War. Zap in the microwave for one minute, and voila!

How did it come out?

It was edible, but messy. That was all I could say. It certainly wasn't my idea of a nice snack.

However, because money is now more of a wishful concept than a reality, I will have to resort to such culinary creativity.

I think that it would an interesting experiment to try to eat all the available food in my house without having to go out to eat or replenish the larder.

Hey! Maybe I'll even lose all the weight that I gained from eating out with Ariana and then some!

Then that means that I'll have to buy new clothes that will fit me. Oh boy!

No comments: