Tuesday, April 24, 2007

Domestic Goddess ~ NOT!

I was not born with the Suzy Homemaker gene.

In fact, I think that gene is recessive in my DNA. Only one person in my biological family seems to have that gene; and she is not a happy camper, to say the least.

We all know that cleanliness is next to godliness and that a clean house is a happy home. (Really?)

However, there are some positive things to say about being domestically-challenged.

One of the fun things is that when I finally do get down to digging through all the strata of un-put-away stuff, it's like finding buried treasure. Things that were long-forgotten surface and get rediscovered with wild glee.

Oh! I forgot all about that!

Boy! Is that where it went?!

I feel the unbridled joy of a kid who has found a new toy, or the archaeologist who uncovered the Rosetta Stone.

Would my life have been filled which such joy had everything been in its proper place?

Maybe.

Maybe not.

Perhaps had I not been so organizationally-challenged I would have charted new territories and discovered new joys previously unknown to my present incarnation.

Perhaps.

Perhaps not.

Maybe one of these days I will know what it's like to be liberated from the death grip of CHAOS (Can't Have Anyone Over Syndrome).

But for now, while goat paths crisscross the rooms of my house, I'll find my joys as archaeologist and treasure hunter.

Also, I'll enjoy my guilt-free moments knowing that the bulk of my clutter is due to the displaced stuff from my gutted studio as it awaits repair to its water-damaged ceiling.

"Oh! Please excuse the mess. I'm still waiting for the guy to come and fix the hole in my ceiling."

(I swear, for the great length of time that gaping hole has remained in the ceiling, the contractor must be operating in a totally remote time zone. Like maybe one of the time zones on Saturn, perhaps?)

Just yesterday, after the warm, sunny day called for something lighter than a turtleneck, I decided that it was time to tackle Mt. Clothesmore in search for something less likely to cause profuse sweating. While doing that, I would also pack away the cold weather clothes and bring out the warm weather ones.

(Hey! I actually didn't wait until summer was well underway to do that for a change!)

As I sorted through the piles of clothes that never got put away all winter long, I discovered a pair of jeans that I forgot I even had. Woo-hoo!

I found a whole bunch of long-sleeved shirts that weren't turtlenecks. Great! Just the perfect thing for those transition-season days!

And I forgot about that pair of scrubs that a friend gave me. How 'bout that for something comfy to lounge in and yet still be somewhat respectable for dashing out for a quick errand?! (Not to say that I haven't appeared in public wearing PJ bottoms and slippers.)

After everything was sorted and put away, my eyes beheld vast empty spaces.

Those empty spaces looked rather good.

Exhilarating, in fact.

Would I have experienced such a degree of exhilaration had I been a Suzy Homemaker?

Probably not.

Suzy would have taken those empty spaces for granted.

I wonder where she finds her joy and exhilaration?

1 comment:

Took said...

You crack me up! I swear we are cosmic twins! The only reason I am starting to be able to see the carpet/vinyl floor is because I am pre-packing for my eventual move. And I love the CHAOS acronym! How perfect!