Saturday, April 7, 2007

Facing the Blank Page

I've finally done it ~ joined the world of bloggers.

But here I am faced with the blank page.

What words call to me? What words want to be laid done for all of cyper space to see? Where do I start?

I have this same problem whenever I pick up on my journal writing, especially after having several months ~ up to a year at least ~ in between entries.

Yeah, the journal is supposed to be just for me. So there really is no need to fill in the reader with missing details of my life.

But a blog is different ~ somewhat more intimidating. No longer are my thoughts bound to a small blank book whose readership consists of only yours truly. Now it's "out there" for everyone to see, read ~ and to judge.

OK.

Take a deep breath and...

...jump in.

Let's get down to business.

This is what I did today:

I had the rug guys come over today to measure my studio.

Why?

Because I am in the process of starting a new business doing digital photo restoration and alteration.

It's a scary thing starting a new business ~ scarier than starting a blog - much scarier.

But it's something that makes sense.

I've been out of a job for nearly a year. And during that time I have not had much success in finding new work, despite the positive interviews that I had. So I figured that if nobody's interested in hiring me, then I'll hire myself.

I will get into more of that later on. But now it is bedtime; and I am a bit tired.

Tomorrow is going to be a busy, but fun day. It'll be Easter ~ the time when my family and hubby's family get together for a fabulous Easter dinner.

Our families get together only twice a year ~ Thanksgiving and Easter.

I am looking forward to tomorrow. I already cooked the veggie dishes ~ pureed turnips with parsnips, kale, asparagus, and spaghetti squash. Tomorrow after church I will heat up the frozen veggies ~ Parisienne carrots, green and yellow wax beans, and corn (as requested by Tony, my brother-in-law).

My sister, Roma, will be cooking up the meat (ham, roast beef, kielbasa) and the potatoes.

And the both of us will be bringing our culinary craftings to our mother's house where all of us will be gathering for our Easter feast. I can hardly wait!

Easter has always been a big deal for my family ~ not only for its spiritual significance (which I am just now starting to appreciate), but also for the scrumptious feast shared by our extended family group.

Cooking veggies isn't the only thing that I did today.

For the first time in 2 ~ maybe even 3 ~ decades I attended an Easter Vigil service. Normally I would have stayed home on a night such as this. But seeing that I volunteered to be one of the readers for a service where 3 churches participated, I was committed to leaving the comfy surroundings of my home.

It's been such a long time that I had forgotten what an Easter Vigil service was like. The person that I was a couple of decades ago could not have appreciated the power and symbolism of the service as I was able to appreciate it now ~ even the little kid that kept whining during the service, "I wanna go home." (Oh! How I could relate to that child many, many moons ago!)

I am glad that I went.

1 comment:

Took said...

Neringa, you are such a wonderful writer! Such descriptions...how very lovely. I look forward to reading your blog. GOOD FOR YOU! Congratulations! Love, Took