Tuesday, April 10, 2007

The Pleasures and Perils of Afternoon Naps

Afternoon naps ~ pro or con? Bane or boon?

I'm still waiting on a decision about that.

Today was one of those days where my eyelids did not want to stay open. It already was 3:00 ~ a time that I consider too late in the day to take a nap. But the idea of resting my head against a pillow and nodding off sounded too good to resist.

So, scooping up my little dog, Emi, I shambled on upstairs to my date with the sandman.

Normally when I have tried to take a daytime nap, I would wind up lying in bed awake until my impatience over not being able to fall asleep would bring me back downstairs. However this time, my noggin zonked out shortly after it hit the pillow and stayed unconscious for 2 hours. Guess I really needed to recharge those batteries after all.

It was really great getting those 2 hours of shut-eye. I felt more refreshed when I got up. That's the good thing about taking an afternoon nap.

However, the part that is not such a good thing is that once I get up from an afternoon nap, I feel that the rest of the day is shot. It's already 5:00 and time to feed the beasts ~ both 4-legged and 2-legged.

And after dinner time, who feels like doing anything? The most ambition that I could muster was to read a "Time" magazine that I had been trying to read for the past 3-4 days. (Great article on the spirituality of Einstein, by the way.)

It was even hard to drag myself to the computer.

It makes me wonder ~ should I have just made myself stay awake?

No comments: