Wednesday, September 2, 2009

Big Changes Have Come Our Way.

It's been over a month since I last blogged, and since the last time I blogged I was on the east coast. Now I am a bit over 2000 miles away from my original blogging location.

To catch up with things, Neil has been recovering from his triple coronary by-pass. (It was a triple, not the quadruple that we originally thought.)

There were some complications shortly after Neil's release from the hospital. He had a fall in his apartment which resulted in his fracturing his upper back. Because the fracture was so high up on his back, he could not have the procedure where a cement-like material was injected into the fracture. Instead he had to rest and let the fracture heal on its own.

On top of all that, Neil had to be readmitted to the hospital because he contracted pneumonia. He stayed there for awhile. And while in the hospital Neil signed his Baha'i declaration card.

Yes! Neil is now a Baha'i.

I had been praying for years that Neil find a spiritual path, one where he would feel at home at. And I made a promise to God that if Neil finds a spiritual path that I would join him on that path, even if it meant leaving the path that I was on.

Well, now it's time for me to keep that promise to God.

Also, during that time, I had been very busy packing up the rest of the house.

And I had been very busy trying to rehome 9 of our 11 pets.

Gypsy and Gomez went to the Southwest Pennsylvania Retriever Rescue Organization in Plum, Pennsylvania, which was just outside of Pittsburgh. Joe Maringo, the founder and owner of S.P.A.R.R.O., made the trip up to Massachusetts to collect the 2 old dogs. It was really sad to see them go.

My friend Sue has been a Godsend in rehoming the 6 "death row" kitties ~ the cats that would have been euthanized if I was not able to find them new homes before I left.

One day we drove around for over 2 hours through Dartmouth and Westport looking for farms who would take in 4 of the cats as barn cats.

We had no luck. But we hit the jack pot with the very last place that we stopped ~ Dartmouth Orchards. Brian, the owner, was not only happy to have some barn cats, he asked, "How many you got?"

So Attila, Hannibal, Pixel, and Arnica went to their new lives as barn cats at Dartmouth Orchards.

(Upon checking up, Sue discovered that Arnica immediately ran away and took up residence w/Brian's next door neighbors, who were happy to adopt her. And while he has not seen the other cats, he could smell them in the hay barn and occasionally hear the bell on Attila's collar.)

Hyssop went to live with Sue's friend in Abington, Massachusetts. Her friend's brother is a vet, so Hyssop (who has been renamed "Heidi") will be in good hands.

Logos, AKA Logie, went to Sue's friend in Hyannis. Logie has been hiding there, though her friend did once see him in the cupboard with the pots and pans. And Logie has allowed Sue's friend's daughter to pick him up.

Big Fat Stevie, who I'll really miss, has gone to live with Barbara. (I heard that he's settled in well with Barbara, Jeremiah, and their 6 dogs.)

So, all that was left was my little dog Emi and Callee the kitten. They were going to come with me to Texas.

We found an apartment in Lubbock. We had a moving date. And I had to make sure that everything was done to prepare for moving.

There is a lot to write about my road trip. And I'll be doing that in blogs to come.

No comments: