Wednesday, September 2, 2009

The Day Before the Great Road Trip

That was a week ago today ~ Wednesday, the 26th of August.

The movers showed up at the house in the morning. And they worked hard for 5 hours loading up the moving van.

During the time they were there, I had to run a couple of errands.

And while out, I noticed that the flags were at half-staff. I wondered why. There was nothing in that morning's paper. And because I had disconnected and packed away my computer the night before, I was not able to catch up w/current news. I had meant to ask about the flags being at half-staff, but I forgot.

Also, while the movers were there, my real estate agent showed up, followed by one of her co-workers, followed by a couple who had wanted to see the house. That was the same couple who pulled up into my driveway 2 weeks earlier, thinking that the house was abandoned.

It would be nice if they would be interested in buying the house. But I would not be surprised it they weren't. We had already accepted the fact that we would have to "walk away" from the house.

After the movers cleared everything out, I made sure that all the windows were closed. The rooms were bare, loud, and resounding with echoes.

Because the cable guy showed up early in the morning to take the modem, I had no phone service to the house. I had to use my cell phone. And because our house was in a cell phone dead zone, I had to go upstairs into Neil's old room to make my calls from there. It was hot and sweltering in that room.

With the house all bare and empty except for the stuff that we were leaving behind, it felt weird knowing that within 24 hours I would be well on my way to Texas.

Barbara came over that evening to say goodbye and give me a sweet farewell gift. She didn't stay as long as she normally would have because she knew that I was going to be getting up at 4 in the morning.

I slept on the couch that night.

No comments: