Saturday, September 26, 2009

Texas Rain & Rainbows

My first experience with Texas rain was on a Friday morning, on September 4th.

Neil was scheduled that morning for foot surgery. And before it was time to leave, the vaults of heaven had broken loose. In just the few feet it took to get from my apartment to the car, I was drenched ~ soaked right down to the bone. Water poured off my face in sheets as I tried to dry it in the car. And my sandals squished from saturation.

Because Lubbock does not have storm drains, the water at the intersections can get quite deep. And had I crossed the intersection on foot, the water would have been well above my ankles. I was afraid that my low-riding coupe was going to stall out while waiting for the light to change.

Not only was the water deep, its current was also swift. While standing at the intersection, I could feel my car rocking from the current. And I could hear the water lapping up against my car like waves against the side of a boat.

Welcome to rain, Texas style.

Along with rain, there are sometimes rainbows.

A rainbow is the sign of God's promise to never again destroy the earth by flood. It's also a sign of hope in difficult times.

We had our sign of hope in the form of a double rainbow.

Even when it rains, the sun can still be shining.

No comments: