Saturday, September 26, 2009

Getting Ready for Halloween

Earlier this week I decided to put up some Halloween decorations.

It wasn't my wanting to get the jump on celebrating Halloween early that prompted me to put up the decorations as much is it was my desire to reduce the amount of stuff that I had to sort through and organize inside. The more stuff that I could get out of the apartment, the less I would have to go through inside.

Except for the large spider hanging on the right, none of the other decorations were originally Halloween decorations.

They were decorative and educational items I had accumulated from many years ago.

These wooden flying skeletons are folk art carvings from Indonesia. I bought them at an Army-Navy surplus store in Wareham, Massachusetts called "Go Bananas."

The skeleton was a miniature anatomically accurate skeleton that I got at a store that sold science-oriented goodies. The broom was a hand-crafted broom that I bought in Pennsylvania Dutch country some 26 years ago. And the little cauldron was from my Witch days over 20 years ago.

The skeleton lost its cranium, and I am sure that it's still probably somewhere in the apartment lost somewhere among the unpacked detritus. But the missing top part of its skull is actually an advantage because it allows the light from the outside light to glow through in its eye sockets. Pretty cool, huh?

This cast iron black cat door stop is an easy one to miss. And even though I cannot forget to include this inky kitty in my collection of Halloween decorations, I cannot for the life of me remember where I got it from.

Now all I hope is that by the time Halloween is over and done with, the apartment will be organized enough for me put away the Halloween decorations and get out the Christmas ones.

No comments: