Friday, March 27, 2009

It's a Wrap

When I was not sick with the flu, I was busy crocheting this shawl.

I got the idea for this shawl from my dear friend Ruth in Australia. (Hi, Ruth!)

To make the shawl, I first crocheted a chain of 260 stitches. Each new row involved a new yarn, which was crocheted into the previous row, decreasing the number of stitches by one on each end.

The further along I got in my shawl, the quicker each row went. However, it still took well over a week to finish this project.

When I had finished the shawl, it measured 1.77 meters. (Ruth's measured 2.4 meters.) And while I was happy to have finally finished the shawl, I did wish that it covered my elbows when I had it draped over my shoulders.

Well, there is a way to address this issue ~ simply crochet more rows at the top, increasing the stitches by one on each end.

And that is what I am doing right now whenever the mood hits me. Of course, now that I am working in an upward direction, each row is taking longer to crochet than the previous row. But with the weather getting warmer, I am in no great rush to get the shawl to its desired width.

No comments: