Monday, March 9, 2009

Signs of Spring

Winter's lion was a purring kitten in less than a week after March arrived. Winter had been de-fanged and had lost its bite.

Saturday and Sunday were gorgeous days with temperatures in the high 50s to mid 60s.

Yesterday I saw the heart-stirring sight of purple crocuses in bloom by the Church of the Good Shepherd in Fairhaven. Ah! blooming flowers! A sure sign that spring is on the way!

Today I noticed the beginnings of pink in a coarse ground cover, whose name I had forgotten, that sits on top of our front embankment.

This morning started off wet and rainy, and I was reminded of the fact that March could be a rainy month. But rain was a far more welcome form of precipitation than that of snow.

But March may still have bits of winter tucked inside its bag of tricks. The lion may be sleeping now, but it came still awake at any time.

I thought of this in light of today's weather forecast with the rain supposing to turn to snow later on in the day.

And I meditated on this as I sat on the front porch this morning.

The Braeburn apple tree in front already had buds, as did many of the trees outside. Yet the trees know not to throw caution to the wind and burst open their buds in the finicky month of March.

All in good time.

I take solace in the fact that this time next month there will be more green and more color in this winter white-washed world.

No comments: