Saturday, November 22, 2008

All Blitzed Out

Whereas the last 2 days have been "chill" days for me, today I waged an all out and out blitz on the workout room.

For 7 to 8 hours straight ~ with the exception of a one-hour break to meet with the realtor ~ I burned through the workout room.

Honestly, I was expecting the cleaning project to take at least 2 or 3 days. So I was mightily surprised to discover that I cleaned out the whole bloody space (except for the space underneath the stairs) in just one day.

Yahoo and yippee!

I packed 20 boxes, 18 of which contained Neil's many engineering manuals. One large box contained Neil's juggling stuff, along with a whole bunch of miscellaneous crap belonging to the 3 of us.

Another box contained Neil's tools.

There were still more tools to pack way. But I had no way of knowing which tools to pack and which ones to sell.

All that was solved with a phone call to Neil. As we talked, I put certain tools aside to pack at another time.

With all that packing, I used up a lot of tape. I had gone through one roll of packing tape, and had nearly exhausted a second roll of tape. Needless to say, I had to put packing tape on the shopping list.

In addition to going through a lot of tape, I had also gone through a lot of garbage bags. I think I must have filled about 30 of them, though I won't know for sure until I count all the bags.

I already had to bring out 12 bags in order to make room for more bags.

The bags got brought out through the very rarely used door in the back of the workout room, right by Neil's weight set.

God! Was it ever hard to get the door open! I had to go around to the outside and body slam the door several times before it would budge.

Closing the sucker was even tougher. No amount of body slamming the door caused it to move in the slightest bit.

I was getting concerned because I could see a large sliver of the outside through the copious crack in the door.

My not being able to close the door raised a couple of concerns. First of all, there would be all that heat escaping through the crack in the door.

Second of all ~ and far more critical than the issue of heat loss ~ was the issue of security. If I couldn't close the door, then that would have made us vulnerable to unwelcome intrusion.

Fortunately, the solution to the conundrum was within sight.

There, not too far from the door was this mighty sledge hammer. And a couple of good whacks to the bottom of the door did the trick.

Boy! Do I love it when a tool does the job well!

That was my first time ever wielding a sledge hammer. It felt damn good.

That sledge hammer is my new best friend.

No comments: