Saturday, November 29, 2008

Turkey Day and Beyond

I must say, it's been a very fine Thanksgiving.

The day started early with me cooking in the morning. I made sweet potato salad from a recipe that I had chipped out of the paper, and my very own special kick-ass deviled eggs.

And I had the oyster mushrooms that I had prepared the day before.

The Rhode Island contingent arrived later than expected, thus delaying the festivities by one hour. But once everybody got here, we all made up for lost time.

This Thanksgiving was going to be different in that we were celebrating it at Carol's new condo instead of her house in Holly Woods.

With Neil being in Texas, the turkey-carving duties fell on Tony, who took the task to heart.

(I wish that I had been able to up-load pix of the festivities. Unfortunately the Internet server had other ideas, not allowing me to up-load images either on my laptop or my PC. Oh well.)

There certainly was no shortage of food.

Let the pig-out begin!

In addition to the required turkey, gravy, and stuffing, we had mashed potatoes, Leonard's sweet potato casserole, boiled onions, butternut squash, deviled eggs, oyster mushrooms, sweet potato salad, and decadent biscuits.

We also had 3 different desserts: Leonard's famous mincemeat pie, a delicious pumpkin pie that Roma and Tony brought from the Lahey Clinic, and a coffee cake that everyone said was very tasty. (I didn't have any of the coffee cake.)

Plus there were chocolates, truffles, and other goodies to knosh on.

I swear, I ate more food that one day than I must have all week!

After our most hearty feast, the party moved into the sitting area.

Michael and Ariana shared with each other their art work, which was very impressive.

Michael brought 3 of his homemade books/journals/sketch pads to show us. The workmanship on them was exquisite ~ far better than what you would find in any store.

We called Neil in Texas and passed the phone around so that each of us could have a turn to chat with him.

Normally, Roma and I would have gone for our traditional post-feast walk, talking Emi with us. But because we arrived late, it was already dark afer we finished pigging out.

There was an unspoken decision to stay inside and relax with the rest of the crew.

Roma, Carol, and I whipped out our handwork while we chatted in the living room area.

I was crocheting my scrumbles. Roma was working on her beaded Kumihimo necklace project. And Carol was knitting a purse that she was going to felt once she completed it.

As with all good things, the festivities came to an end.

Roma, Tony, and Michael had to leave, first stopping in Providence to drop off our mother.

Ariana had already left with Ryan long before the party broke up. So it was just me and Emi who were heading back home.

When I got home, I was so stuffed and bloated that I had absolutely no desire to go on-line that evening.

God! It was tough enough to finish one glass of wine.

The following day, I had all the best intentions to do some cleaning, culling, and packing. But I was still exhausted from gorging myself the day before. As such, I spent a good part of the day resting and reading.

I really could not believe that it would take a full day to cover from pigging out. And boy did I ever pig out!

Going on-line last night was out of the question. Not only was I exhausted, it also seemed as though the Internet server was down.

I guess Thanksgiving was even too much for the 'Net.


No comments: