Saturday, December 13, 2008

Gigunda Moving Sale ~ Day 1

We finally made it through the first day of the "Gigunda Moving Sale."

I was up at 6:00 in the morning. It wasn't by design. Rather it was by Emi's insistence that she needed to go outside.

At 7:30 I woke up Ariana and had her go and wake up Richie.

Even though the sale was scheduled to start at 10:00 AM, I knew that early birds were going to be showing up.

Sure enough they did ~ at 8:00 AM.

Business was VERY brisk during the first 2 hours before the scheduled opening time.

During the first few hours, I wound up having to hide things that I either neglected to hide or thought that I did not need to hide.

People were wanting to buy the goodies that I had out on the porch, like the cast iron mermaid, the cast iron cross, the sea pony, and the baker's rack.

I could not hide the sea pony because it was a large piece hanging from the side of the house. The baker's rack was too large to hide, too.

So I just brought in the mermaid and the cross, and hid them in the upstairs bathroom.

Also, people wanted my garden ornaments. I lost count of the people who wanted Hepsibah's memorial statue.

And would you believe that one couple wanted to buy the old crumby drawers that were on the front porch? They wanted them for the glass drawer pulls.

I let them have the drawers for a couple of bucks. That way, I didn't have to deal with having to get rid of them.

There were people who were going into the boxes in the storage room that I had not yet sealed up. I had to place open garbage bags over them.

And then there was this fellow who was all set to buy my sign-making markers and my Swiss Army knife that I had left on the kitchen table.

I had to cover up the table with the towel I had in the kitchen.

Stuff was flying out of the house. And Ariana had proved herself to be a natural sales person.

Also, Ariana had a knack for making this moving sale a memorable experience for many people by giving children a free Beanie Baby as a Christmas present.

Barbara came over to help. 'Miah was with her, too. And because today was his 21st birthday, he was rather boisterous.

For the first 4 hours, the house was crammed filled with people. Then the crowds started dwindling.

Sue came over just before closing. She poked around. And after she was done, she sat down for a visit and to enjoy a nice cup of mango tea with agave nectar.

At this point, I sent the kids out to get some Thai food to bring back.

After everybody left, I totalled up the sales and came up with the grand total of $585.17.

Because the cheapest things were priced at 5 cents, I have no idea where that extra 2 cents came from.

Could have been some body's 2 cents worth.

So, will we do as well tomorrow, especially when all the really cool goodies were sold today?

We'll just have to wait and find out.

No comments: