Saturday, December 20, 2008

Still Snowing the Next Day

The snow was still coming down this morning, though not as heavily as the night before.

There is something about a snowy day that makes one want to skip one's normally scheduled tasks.

Thus rather than get on the ball and make myself do what I had been meaning to do for these past few days ~ clearing out the storage area by packing up the sales items for pick-up or bagging them up for the dumpster ~ I figured that it would be a more fun thing to go outside and take more photos.

Here's the front of our house the morning after the blizzard.

'Miah had totally pulled down those vines during the summer of 2007. And look, they had already reasserted themselves in full force this past summer.

The Japanese maple in the side yard looks rather pretty with its heavy dusting of snow.

Here you can see the kitchen window and Ariana's window on the second floor from all the way across the side yard.

Taking a walk into the back field, which we call the "Back 40," you can see a lot more snow-covered trees.

I thought this spiky snow-covered branch looked interesting up close.

This view is from the very rear of the Back 40.
I was making my way to the defunct cranberry bog that was past the wooded area that was behind the Back 40.

It was difficult getting on the path because all the tall shrubs, brush, and saplings were bent over with the weight of the snow. I had to bush-whack my way through the totally covered and obstructed path.

Along the way, I spotted these pretty red berries.

This is what the woods looked like while I was trying to make my way to the bog.

Finally, after emerging from a brush-covered path and climbing over a downed tree, I came upon the bog.

In the background is the weir that used to serve the cranberry bog when it was still being farmed. There is a stream still running through it. And in the summer, you can find many frogs making their home by the small stream.

The bog stream stretches a good long distance.

On the return trip back, I found myself on the opposite side of the Back 40. Here a large, snow-covered tree limb looks as though it's a good candidate for snapping off the tree.

Yesterday's blizzard
caused many trees fall over or lose their limbs. There was one storm fatality yesterday when a tree fell on a man in Acushnet.

The tree behind the garage looked pretty with its snow coat.

While it was still snowing outside when I went to take these pix, being under this cedar tree gave a different perspective.

When I returned from my expedition, 'Miah and Ariana had just finished shovelling out the driveway.

'Miah told me to take a picture of my snow-covered car. Believe me, that car had a whole lot more snow on it last night before I went to pick up the kids after their grand winter adventure.

Across the street, the neighbor's boats look like they're going nowhere in all this snow.

I always liked the Eye of Horus that was painted on the prow of this boat.

There's the lonely maple standing in the middle of our vacant lot across the street.

Here's a view of the trees beyond the embankment of our lot.

This tiny house, which is easily seen from the top of the embankment of our lot, belongs to Cal, an old gentlemen (from an old and venerable Mattapoisett family) who is very often visited by Hannibal the Kitty Cannibal.

Hannibal likes to jump up and play on Cal's roof. And Cal seems to enjoy his company so much that he started feeding Hannibal Little Friskies dry cat food, and then canned food.

(Once Hannibal got a taste of the canned food, he turned his nose up at the Little Friskies.)

No wonder Hannibal is always going across the street and down the embankment. He's going to visit his best friend Cal.


The snow on top of the lamp post looked like a cone of soft-serve vanilla ice cream.

Here's a view down our road.

That first telephone on the left was the one that the utility workers were working on for hours last night.

See that grey box half way up the pole? That's the junction box that the workers had open, trying to figure out what was going on and how to restore power to Crescent Beach and Point Connett.

If I had taken a picture of the pole much later on in the day, you would have seen a collection of furniture that I had 'Miah place there for tomorrow's scheduled Big Brother/Big Sister pick up.

I haven't heard anything from Big Brother/Big Sister able cancelling the pick up, so I am crossing my fingers that it is still on for tomorrow morning.

No comments: