Thursday, December 11, 2008

Unexpected Little Windfall

Once again, it was another day focused on getting things ready for the moving sale.

I didn't have as many hours today as I did other days.

For one thing, after bringing Ariana to school, I had to stop at church to set up the altar for Sunday.

While I was there, the church's book cafe was open. And after finishing up with the altar, I decided to get myself some lunch ~ a stuffed quahog, a hot dog, and a can of Pepsi.

From there, I went to the bank to get $300 worth of small bills and change to have ready for the moving sale.

Those rolls of coins were so heavy that I could have knocked someone out had I swung my purse.

By the time I got home, it was 12:30. That would have left me just under 3 hours before having to leave for Fall River to pick up Ariana.

That wasn't going to leave me much time to get a lot accomplished.

And I had even less time when I had a couple of unexpected visitors.

The first visitor a a fellow from Crazy Horse Antiques in New Bedford.

I was busy with my sale organizing when Richie said, "There's a strange guy in the parking lot."

The Crazy Horse fellow had seen my ads in the papers (both the New Bedford Standard-Times and the Wanderer), and swung by to see if I had any gold jewelry, old coins, military stuff, what have you.

For my scrap gold and Neil's high school ring, I got $103 ~ cash.

The fellow then wanted to see what else I had for sale. So I took him through the house.

He couldn't believe all the stuff in all the rooms.

Shortly after he left, another fellow came to see what I had.

Now I knew to expect early birds, but never this early.

Apparently there are people ~ dealers usually ~ who scour the ads for yard sales and moving sales, and then go to those addresses before the scheduled sales in order to get a jump on everyone else.

This second fellow bought 5 books. He was also interested in the filing cabinets and whatever tools I may have.

Well, I could accommodate him with the filing cabinets, but not the tools. I knew that Neil was going to want the big power equipment. And as for the other tools, I have not yet had a chance to go through the garage.

The fellow asked if he could come back early on Saturday morning so that he could go through all the books that I had for sale.

There were well over 1000 books ~ way too many to go through in a short time, especially when I was going to have to be leaving soon to pick up Ariana.

With the unexpected little windfall that I got, Ariana and I went to Ixtapa for some good Mexican food. It's a nice restaurant, but not one that we go to very often.

When we got back, I did a bit more on organizing the moving sale, even though I was very tired at that point.

I worked until about 20 past 7:00, and then decided to call it quits.

Yes, I know that I still need to make 2 more signs, make little signs for inside the house, go through the large green tub of Neil's stuff, clear off and clear out my desk in the studio, and attend to other details.

But I am too bloody tired to deal with that now.

I still have not yet put up the signs outside. And that was because it was raining all day.

The rain is supposed to continue through tomorrow morning. And once the rain stops, I will have to be out there with my signs, a hammer, and some nails.

Because the rain is coming from a southwesterly direction, it is once again leaking inside the house.

Damn!

It's always that southwest rain that gives us the most trouble.

As troublesome as this southwest rain may be, I must admit that it sounds very tranquil. It will be nice falling asleep to the sound of pouring rain and splashing rain drops.

By the way, I never did get a call from that Matt fellow ~ who showed up yesterday ~ about Neil's weight-lifting equipment.

I cannot say that I am surprised.

Who knows? Maybe someone from the moving sale will buy it ~ that and the stepper/climber.

Hey! Maybe even the trampoline, too!

No comments: