Saturday, January 17, 2009

Busy Day

This morning Ariana and I went to volunteer at our church's food pantry. At least it was much warmer there than in our house.

Not only that, the church where the pantry was located was giving away free hot soup and bread. Ariana got a quart of veggie beef soup, while I got a quart of kale soup. And we also got a long loaf of French bread.

After the pantry, I dropped Ariana off in New Bedford so that she could visit with a friend, while I went to the prison in Plymouth to see Nick.

Ahhh! Another place that was warmer than my house.

Nick was doing fine. However, now there was some doubt that he would be getting out this coming Monday.

Not being able to wear a watch in the prison and not seeing any clocks, I had no way of keeping track of the time. That was unfortunate, especially since I needed to pick up Ariana from new Bedford at 3:00 PM.

Anyhow, by the time I got out of the prison and into the car (where my watch AND cell phone were), it was already 2:40 PM. There was no way I was going to make it to New Bedford in 20 minutes. In fact, it seemed even unlikely that I could make it to Route 495 in that amount of time.

Plymouth may not be all that far as the crow flies. But travelling by road it's a different story. There's no direct route to Plymouth. So you're pretty much stuck taking the back roads.

Good thing Carol was able to pick up Ariana.

I got home first, and heated up a bowl of soup for myself.

Shortly afterwards, Ariana got home.

And then we both got into the car and headed out to Barbara's house, which was also much warmer than our house.

We didn't stay there for too long. Ariana was tired and anxious to get back home. And she was unabashed in letting her impatience to get home show.

Oh well, it was already past the time I needed to feed the dogs and Big Fat Stevie. So, it was just as well that we left.

So now that I am home, I am once more upstairs, where it is warm. And that is where I'll stay for the rest of the evening.

No comments: