Wednesday, January 14, 2009

When the Best Laid Plans Get Undone

It was actually a deliberate undoing.

I've been making an afghan for my mother-in-law Carol, using freeform crochet. The larger the body was getting, the more out-of-control it was getting with lots of buckling and deep puckering around the edges.

No amount of corrective action was able to remedy the problem.

I used decreasing stitches, and I sewed gathering darts on the back side of the afghan.


And yet it did nothing to stop the wild and out-of-control spread of wavy, puckering edges.

I had no choice but admit to myself that this was a lost cause, and that the only recourse I had was to take the damn thing apart and start anew.

In other words, I was humbled by a scrumble.

To give you an idea of how much yarn and work was at stake, the entire scrumbled afghan weighed 15 ounces before I decided to pull it apart.

What was left after the deconstruction was 1.75 ounces (just less than 12%) of yarn scraps destined for the trash barrel, 8.5 ounces of salvaged yarn,

and 4.75 (nearly 32%) of usable crocheted scrumbles.

It is from these small scrumbles that Carol's new afghan will grow.

Rather that piecing everything together right away, I will crochet many more scrumbles. And when I have a large number of them, I will start laying out a scrumble composition that will eventually become an afghan.

Oh! How I can't wait to get this afghan done. Even though Carol loves these colors, and they coordinate very well with her condo, the colors do nothing to warm the cockles of my heart.

I have boxes of really cool yarn with sumptuous, succulent colors and delectable textures that I am anxious to dive into and start playing with.

But first I must take care of this present scrumbling commitment before I can be turned loose among my collection of fun yarns.

And when that happens, watch out. That crochet hook will be flying!

No comments: