Tuesday, January 13, 2009

A Different Kind of Day

I was planning on visiting Nick in prison this morning, but I changed my mind. A hoard of real estate agents were stopping by the house at 10:30 AM, and I wanted to spend some extra time doing some picking up.

I shovelled a path from the front door to the street, replaced the burned-out fluorescent tubes in the living room, and cleared off the kitchen table.

Ariana was hard at work with another load of dishes and then cleaning the cabinets in the kitchen.

Meanwhile, Leonard stopped by, at Carol's request, too take a look at the kitchen bay window and see if he could put a board over the rotted out area. Turns out he couldn't.

There must have been about about a dozen different agents tromping around in the house.

I had expected them to tell me what I needed to do in order to get this house to sell. But no. All they were interested in was viewing the property in the off chance that it would fit the needs of any one of their clients.

Today was another dreary, overcast, and cold day.

I didn't bother with doing any cleaning today.

Instead, I decided to do some number-crunching and start gathering the information that our accountant would need in order for us to file taxes.

I really hate tax time. It's practically insulting that it comes so fast, on the heels of the holidays. So, I figured that for once I should get a head start on gathering all the information that we need.

Having either misplaced or packed away my financial log book, I had to got through 4 check registers and a box of paid bills in order to reconstruct a record of last year's expenditures.

Then, I had to go on-line and look up the mileage to our various work places, charities where I volunteered, and the different medical establishments that we frequented last year.

That was a lot to look up. And getting all this tax info ready took pretty much the whole day. Gee! What a perfect activity for a cold and dreary day.

At least it all got done ~ or at least as much as could get done at this point in time.

Guess I could give myself a pat on the back for having tackled such an odious task today.

No comments: