Sunday, January 18, 2009

Garbage Moment

For those of you who enjoy the comic strip Rose Is Rose, like I do, you may be familiar with Jimbo's "garbage moments."

To Jimbo, taking out the trash is a transcendental experience, where he quietly stands under the stars and calmly takes in the awe of the Universe.

My garbage moment was light years away, and certainly not a transcendental experience.

For one thing, it got off on the wrong foot ~ literally.

I was putting on one of my boots when I lost balance, tripped over a garbage bag, and had poor Gypsy break my fall. But if it hadn't been for Gypsy getting in my way, my forward momentum would have probably had me tumbling down the stairs head first.

Instead, I just ripped the left knee on my jeans. And I suspect that I will have bruises on that corresponding knee, as well as on my hip, upper left arm, and left hand.

That's certainly not the way Jimbo Gumbo would have taken out the trash.

And after I put 8 bags and 4 burned-out fluorescent tubes on the curb, I most certainly did not look up to the stars and take in the awe of the Universe.

Besides, the stars weren't out. It was snowing. Again.

However, if it weren't for this "taking out the trash" prat fall, I probably would have not thought about Rose Is Rose.

Rose Is Rose is one of my favorite comic strips.

It's a delightful blend of fantasy and reality.


Pasquale has adventures flying around on his dream ship. Rose plays guitar to the birds in the trees, who appreciate her serenade. The drain monster is constantly thwarted from getting his snack of little kid toes.

One of the comic strip's most outstanding features is its positive tone and its cheerful outlook on the world and life in general.


There are certainly no über-angst-ridden super heroes lurking around in Rose Is Rose.

Rose and Jimbo are still madly in love with each other, and they are devoted doting parents to their only child Pasquale.

In fact, I love how much Rose and Jimbo are in love with each other. When Rose finds a secret love note in her tea cup, there are times when I wish that I would find a love note hidden next to my tooth brush or in the pocket of my hoodie.

Rose and Jimbo's love is a playful romance. Love is meant to be fun, even delightfully silly at times. Yet, along with its fun, delight, and silliness, love is always up-front and unashamedly unabashed.

So I do confess, Rose and Jimbo's love speaks to my incurable (though repressed) romantic yearning. And witnessing their unique romantic playfulness sparks feelings of wistfulness in me.

As much of an unrequited romantic sap as I may be, there is also that other side of me that resonates with Rose's alter-ego ~ Vicki the Biker Chick.

Many of us have alter-egos. While mine may not be that of a biker chick, Rose's alter-ego is one that I can appreciate. And while I have not given myself the time to fully develop an alter-ego, I can safely say that my alter-ego would probably be just as edgy and ballsy.

It would probably have super powers, too.

No comments: