Sunday, January 25, 2009

Return of the Sloth

Some of the prehistoric giant sloths have been as large as an elephant.

I'm nowhere near that size, though sometimes I may feel that big after over-indulging at the all-you-can eat Chinese buffet.

While I did accomplish some work on Friday ~ cleaning out the dish cupboard and packing 7 boxes ~ yesterday and today were slothful days.

Yesterday started off with some promise of industry when Ariana and I went to the Plymouth County Correctional Facility to visit Nick.

Nick was doing as best as can be expected in such a place. He hoped to be released on the 17th of next month.

After our visit, we drove home. Feeling a bit sleepy, I went upstairs to take a nap almost as soon as we walked in through the door.

Having napped for a couple of hours, I had no drive or motivation to do any work, even though I knew that more cleaning and packing probably would have been a good idea.

It seems now that my house has achieved some level of neatness and freedom from clutter, I don't feel as driven to go on the big cleaning blitzes that I had just weeks ago.

Now I am enjoying more leisurely moments in between my major bouts of accomplishment.

After my nap I played some Mah Jong on the computer and then talked with Neil in Texas. While we were on the phone, I made a 3-way call to Roma and Tony so that Neil could talk with them, too.

Then I watched The Exorcism of Emily Rose while working on my crochet. (Being one who very rarely watches TV or movies, I am one of those people who cannot sit idly with my hands doing nothing.)

When the movie was done, it was time to go on-line and catch up with my emails, as well as email the recent pix I took of the house to my real estate agent so that she could include them in the on-line listing of my house. (My pix were much nicer.)

Then it was time for bed.

That was yesterday.

This morning Ariana and I went to church. Ariana came with me because today was Good Shepherd's Annual Meeting, and we needed extra warm bodies so that we could have a quorum in order to conduct church business.

Ariana's meeting participation consisted of falling asleep in the comfy chair in the church basement. I, on the other hand, played Mah Jong on my cell phone. But that did not stop me from adding my 2 shekels worth during the meeting and from voting on church issues.

Once church business was done, we stopped at the pharmacy and then drove home.

At home I followed my usual Sunday procedure ~ dole out the meds for the week and then read my newspapers.

This time, in addition to getting the Sunday Providence Journal-Bulletin and the Boston Globe, I decided to also pick up a copy of the Boston Herald.

I'm afraid that the Boston Herald failed to impress me. However, it had a good comic section ~ very important ~ that featured Brenda Starr and The Phantom. I hadn't read those comics in well over 15 years.

After reading all those papers, I really did not feel like doing anything else, not even crocheting.

It wasn't particularly warm downstairs. And even though I was not very tired, I elected to go upstairs ~ where it was much warmer ~ and take a brief nap to pass the time and assuage my boredom.

Now that's being very slothful ~ taking a nap when you're not tired.

Because I had gone upstairs late in the afternoon, my nap was brief. Gypsy made sure that I did not sleep longer than I had to by barking loudly downstairs and ringing the doggie sleigh bells on the door, letting me know that she wanted to be let out.

What followed was more of the usual ~ feeding the animals, taking out the garbage and recycling (this time without nearly breaking my legs), calling Neil, making Ariana something to eat, and going on the computer.

I figured on writing this blog because I was remiss in blogging yesterday. Plus, Neil looks forward to reading my blogs. After all, he's my number one fan!

Tomorrow I will have to bring Emi to the vet for her over-due shots. After which, I will head to town hall to get new dog licenses for her, Gypsy, and Gomez.

After that, who knows what I'll do.

Hopefully the day will be warmer so that I will not have to sequester myself upstairs.

In the meantime, those puffy appetizer thingies that I made for Ariana smell very good. I think I'll make myself a batch.

With one of the 7 Deadly Sins out of the way, I think I'll work on another one ~ gluttony.

No comments: